Our team believes in preventative dentistry—using the most effective methods in preventing extensive treatment or damage to your child’s smile. Our goal is to help your child maintain a healthy smile, so they can avoid unnecessary trips to the dental office. If you are searching for a pediatric dentist in Cottonwood Heights and Holladay, UT, look no further than Salt Lake Pediatric Dentistry!
Pediatric dentistry, (and general dentistry altogether) is all about preventing disease, decay and pain. Our preventive services are based around helping your child develop the best dental habits that he/she can develop. While we perform thorough and careful exams for your children, we also teach them how to create and execute proper habits, such as:
- Brush at least twice a day to remove plaque formed from meals eaten throughout the day.
- Make sure to brush the outer and inner surfaces of each tooth.
- Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth.
- Use a small, pediatric-size brush on your children to prevent gagging.
- Do not use toothpaste with fluoride until your child is 3 years old, or otherwise advised by the dentist.
- Brush your child’s tongue to remove bacteria and freshen his/her breath.
- Floss at least once a day to help clean spaces between your child’s teeth and disrupt plaque colonies from building up, in order to prevent damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
- Rinse your child’s mouth with water after brushing and after meals if you are unable to brush.
If your child builds these important habits, and incorporates them into their daily life, they will create the foundational habits that will help them prevent disease, decay and unnecessary dental pain. If children build these habits and attend regular dental appointments, they will be able to benefit from great dental health and confidence through brilliant and beautiful smiles!